12 AAC 39.252. SCOPE OF A MECHANICAL ADMINISTRATOR LICENSE IN THE UNLIMITED
HVAC/SHEET METAL CATEGORY. (a) The holder of a mechanical administrator license in the unlimited
HVAC/sheet metal category may supervise, in accordance with AS 08.40.400,
(1) all HVAC/sheet metal work described in (b) of this section;
(2) the work defined under the heating, cooling, and process piping category in 12 AAC 39.232(b) that is
integral to work on an HVAC system;
(3) the work defined under the mechanical systems temperature control category in 12 AAC 39.292 that is
integral to work on an HVAC system; and
(4) the work defined under the residential HVAC category in 12 AAC 39.332(b).
(b) HVAC/sheet metal work includes the installation, alteration, or retrofitting of the following as they apply to
HVAC systems only:
(1) all components of the air handling and refrigeration cycle, including fans, coils, evaporative cooling units,
self-contained packaged air conditioning and heating units, air handling units, condensing units, furnaces, flues,
chimneys, duct work, cooled mechanical air handling and ventilation applications, and related accessories;
(2) fuel oil tanks and piping and fuel gas piping.
(c) A mechanical administrator licensed in the unlimited HVAC/sheet metal category may supervise, in
accordance with AS 08.40.400, the installation or retrofitting of all pneumatic or electric controls and the retrofitting
of all control wiring of 48 volts or less necessary for the operation of HVAC equipment or systems so long as those
modifications do not alter the electrical characteristics of the mechanical system or controls. The original
installation of control wiring, or the alteration or retrofitting of controls and control wiring that alters the electrical
characteristics of the mechanical system, must be supervised by an electrical administrator licensed in the
appropriate category under 12 AAC 32.
(d) A mechanical administrator licensed in the unlimited HVAC/sheet metal category is not authorized to install
or supervise the installation of piping other than fuel oil and fuel gas piping, refrigerant piping, chilled water piping,
and condensing water piping that is integral to work on an HVAC system.
(e) Only sheet metal work directly related to heating, ventilation, and air conditioning systems, and any work
covered by the Uniform Mechanical Code, is required to be supervised by a mechanical administrator licensed in the
HVAC/sheet metal category defined in this section.
Authority: AS 08.40.230 AS 08.40.260 AS 08.40.400