12 AAC 39.212. SCOPE OF A MECHANICAL ADMINISTRATOR LICENSE IN THE UNLIMITED
COMMERCIAL AND INDUSTRIAL PLUMBING CATEGORY. (a) The holder of a mechanical administrator
license in the unlimited commercial and industrial plumbing category may supervise, in accordance with AS
(1) all plumbing work described in (b) of this section;
(2) the work defined under the heating, cooling, and process piping category in 12 AAC 39.232(b);
(3) the work defined under the mechanical systems temperature control category in 12 AAC 39.292; and
(4) the work defined under the residential plumbing and hydronic heating category in 12 AAC 39.312(b).
(b) Plumbing work includes the installation, alteration, or retrofitting of
(1) plumbing, fixtures, fixture traps, and domestic water, waste, storm, and vent pipes, including all of their
devices, appurtenances, and connections, that extend no more than five feet horizontally outside the building or
structure that they serve, and through which domestic water, waste, sewage, oil, drainage, and air are carried;
(2) piping, fixtures, or equipment that is an integral part of a swimming pool, spa, or hot tub filter or heating
system, or solar energy system;
(3) fuel oil and gas piping and appliances, and their appurtenances either within the property lines of the
building or structure to be served by the fuel oil and gas, or to the point of connection with the utility system; and
(4) lawn sprinkler systems that are connected to a potable water supply, including excavation and backfilling
as necessary for proper installation of the system.
(c) In this section “fixtures” includes water closets, lavatories, bathtubs, showers, kitchen sinks, laundry trays,
hot water tanks, softeners, urinals, bidets, service sinks, shower pans, drink fountains, water pumps, water
conditioners, water coolers, and other similar fixtures used in water systems.
(d) A mechanical administrator licensed in the unlimited commercial and industrial plumbing category may
supervise, in accordance with AS 08.40.400, the installation or retrofitting of all pneumatic or electric controls, and
may supervise, in accordance with AS 08.40.400, the retrofitting of all control wiring of 48 volts or less, necessary
for the operation of plumbing or water conditioning equipment so long as those modifications do not alter the
electrical characteristics of the mechanical system or controls. The original installation of control wiring, or the
alteration or retrofitting of controls and control wiring that alters the electrical characteristics of the mechanical
system, must be supervised by an electrical administrator licensed in the appropriate category under 12 AAC 32.
Authority: AS 08.40.230 AS 08.40.260 AS 08.40.400